Sweet Raw Kale and Spinach Salad by Chef Joi
This salad is quick to make and it requires no special equipment. Although you can enjoy this salad immediately, if you allow it to sit for a bit, the flavors would meld together allowing you to enjoy the salad in a different level. Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables containing vitamin K, A, E, C, B2 (riboflavin), B1 (thiamin) and B3 (niacin), manganese, copper, tryptophan, calcium,
potassium, iron, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, folate and phosphorus. On top of all of this kale provides dietary fiber and is low in calories. Spinach is another powerhouse food. A generous serving of raw spinach provides 25% of the daily recommended iron intake and 402% of Vitamin K. And spinach delivers a powerful punch of vitamins A, B1, B6, C, beta-carotene, potassium, manganese, magnesium, copper and zinc.
Sweet Kale and Spinach Salad by Chef Joi
1 Bunch Kale
1 Bunch Spinach
½ T Sea Salt
½ c Olive Oil
2 T Agave
2 T Balsamic vinegar
2 t Dijon Mustard
1 T Lemon Juice
1 c Carrots, thinly sliced
½ Vidalia Onion, thinly sliced
2 c Raisins
2 c Cherry Tomatoes
¾ c Walnuts
- In a bowl, whisk together the agave nectar, vinegar, mustard and lemon juice. After well blended, whisk in ¼ c of olive
oil. Taste the dressing. If needed, add more lemon juice and pepper to taste. Add onion to dressing to allow them to marinate a bit. In the meantime, prepare the kale and spinach.
- Wash and remove the kale leaves from the stems. Shake the excess water from the leaves. Stack several leaves, roll and cut into strips about ¼ inch wide or tear with your hands.
- Place the kale in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and ¼ c olive oil. Massage the kale until it becomes soft and moist. Toss in spinach but do not massage. You want the spinach to remain crisp.
- Add carrots and raisins to kale-spinach mix. Toss well.
- Pour dressing with onions over kale mixture and toss well. Top salad with tomatoes and nuts (use your
hands to break the walnuts into smaller pieces).