I tend to purchase pre-packaged salads when I know that I am facing a busy week with little time to prepare my mid-day meals. The only problem with this is that the dressing included usually are not to my liking…they are milk-based. So I did some experimentation and came up with this dressing which is good as a dip as well.
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
1/2 c cashews, soaked
1/4 – 1/2 c water (see notes below for enhanced flavor)
Slice of ginger (size depends on your taste)
1/4 t lemon or lime juice
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 t poppy seeds
- Blend the cashews, water, ginger, dates, lemon/lime juice, onion powder, and garlic powder until smooth
- While blender is running, pour in olive oil. Blend until creamy
- Cut blender off and add poppy seeds. Pulse the blender only to mix poppy seeds into mixture. You are not trying to break them up
- Enjoy as salad dressing or dip
- I use the soaking water from sun-dried tomatoes. Yes, I typically add sun-dried tomatoes to the pre-packaged salads)
- So that I always have ginger available, I purchase a lot of ginger at a time. Rinse it well and then cut into slices varying in thickness. I put all of the slices in a zip top bag and freeze. Whenever I need ginger, I just pull a slice out the size I want.